Wednesday, August 29, 2012

*Insert witty title here...I'm too tired*

I've been in school for 13 days and I am so flippin' tired. I really thought about just posting a bunch of pictures and asking you to picture read them ;)

I didn't do the link up with pictures from my room because there is still so much I'd like to do. Especially after looking at all of those awesome photos. This was my welcoming bulletin board. I thought it was cute and funny if you get the reference. The tweet birds are from Digital Bakeshop and came in so many cool colors.
I need to preface this with saying I know I am not an artist but I love me some stick figures, lol. We took our first test in first grade this week (a math test for chapter 1) and I wanted to go over my expectations of a good test taker. Testing Timothy was born. We talked about good behaviors and choices we saw and now have an anchor chart to refer to.


Chapter 2 in math is Number Bonds. We learn about two numbers making a larger number. I had the kiddos make number bonds out of colored paper and I broke out the unifix cubes. This year I had magnetic ones for me to use to model composing and decomposing numbers. #PartPartWhole

"Show me two numbers that make a 7."
And when I'd call on the kids they were really using math language. I head "3 and 4 make 7." "1 plus  6 is 7."


A good kinesthetic activity.


Okay, that's all for now. I'm going to finish watching my DVR'ed Big Brother (what a stinkin' flip in the game!!)

3 Replies:

Julie DiBenedetto said...

I am tired too! 7 Days in and it feels like a month! I absolute LOVE Testing Timothy! What a fantastic visual aid! I am definitely boring that for my little firsties too!
Have a great year!
Julie
Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

Miss Cosby said...

Aww, thanks! I have a few more characters to make for them.

The Math Maniac said...

Love your giant number bonds!!!!

Tara
The Math Maniac

Post a Comment