Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cleaning out my camera phone

I've had my phone for about a year and a half and I literally have hundreds of photos on there. Most of which are my nephew, my dogs, and my students. I was doing some camera phone cleaning out and I came across some pictures I took from our insect unit. We did a ton of things and I was fortunate to find so many resources. Since I'm at home I do not have the author's name of this great idea. If you know please comment so I can give credit where credit is due. As soon as I go into my classroom I will look it up so I can share it with you all and of course credit the amazing author. 

The packet came with labels for each body part of an insect and it even came with a variety of fun shapes to use. I had my kiddos draw their own but I wanted them to use the provided labels and come up with a name for their new insect.


This kiddo was perhaps my best artist.


"Prae Butter Bee" I think it's supposed to be 1/3 praying mantis, 1/3 butterfly, 1/3 bumble bee. So Creative!


This is "Terminator"
It's made up of vicious parts of several powerful insects. 

I think next year we'll do more labeling practice but I think that they all got really into it. I don't think I had any kiddos rush through and they all kept asking so many questions. "Is a scorpion an insect? What does a bee head look like?" I projected Google images and we discussed what we saw to answer these questions.

5 Replies:

Miss Squirrels said...

Hi Brenda! Squirrels, here
thanks for stopping by my blog- I am YOUR newest follower:)
Staci

☞Go NuTTY with ME!

misssquirrels@yahoo.com

thebusybusyhive said...

Super cute idea! I need to do more labeling next year too.

Heather
The Busy Busy Hive

Miss Cosby said...

I totes love that you call yourself Squirrels! My last name is Cosby so I've avoided making connection with it, haha.

Miss Cosby said...

They knew what labels were and why we used them but even after modeling I had some kiddos gluing them on top of the body part or side ways or crowding them together. Oh my it was funny looking.

Penny Lundquist said...

Very cute!

Post a Comment