Monday, December 1, 2014

December Currently

I have not done one of these in forever! I missed them but I have just forgotten at the beginning of each month and then I didn't remember until it was far too late.


1. Listening-->Okay so not very Christmasy BUT I'm Netflix hooked.
2. Loving-->I put up my tree on Friday at home and my classroom tree on Saturday. I love driving around and seeing houses decorated and ready for the season. (Now that it's actually past Thanksgiving that is)
3. Thinking-->Cyber Monday! So I will say all the cyber deals I took advantage of were for me...so again maybe not the spirit but I got protein bars and workout stuff.
4. Wanting-->$$$ I wish I had enough money to spoil my loved ones. However, I do truly believe that it's the thought behind the present.
5. Needing-->Okay, I'm in Indiana. I CANNOT deal with cold and sunset at 5pm. I just can't. I'm ready for my jammies and bedtime by seven!
6. Giving--> Here is a link to my Santa Letter Writing freebie packet. I'm using it this week to teach the 5 parts of a friendly letter and to being writing our letters to Santa.

---
Each December I teach the kiddos how to write a friendly letter. I really make it a big deal because we are going to send these to someone special. SANTA. I swear saying that word to first graders is like yelling "Look, Justin Beiber!" in a crowded mall, lol.

I have them remember the five parts by incorporating touch. 
Heading--Point to our our head
Greeting--Point to our mouth
Body--Point to our bellies
Closing--Snap our legs together like a soldier
Signature--Stick a foot out like you're pointing with your toe

After a few repetitions they start to pick it up.

You'll see in my Santa template page that it's not all about "I want". I encourage them to tell Santa about themselves, whether they've been naughty or nice, and to ask questions. Then, after that they can ask for three (or so) things that they'd like to have.

During morning meeting (calendar time) we add a question to Santa to our chart paper so they get an idea of what to write in their letter. (And it sneaks in teaching/reviewing asking sentences!)

The neatest thing is that once all the letters are 'mailed' I really bring them to the fifth grade teachers. The fifth grade teachers hype up the fifth graders and the fifth graders pretend to be elves and they write my kiddos back. So, about a week passes and I get a beautifully ornate envelope back from...SANTA!! The principal brings it in my classroom like it's urgent business. I read every letter to the firsties. (The fifth graders explain that Santa was busy so an elf wrote them back. They think of the cutest elf names)

Click here to get your freebie

2 Replies:

Eclectic Educating said...

I cannot stand it being so dark either! I was just thinking how it was already dark at 4:45 pm at school today! Being on the east coast can be a bummer sometimes!

Amy
Eclectic Educating

Hannah Stark said...

Christmas lights are my favorite holiday tradition! When I was little my family would snuggle up in the warm car wearing our pajamas and drive around town on Christmas Eve. Then we would come home and have hot chocolate with cookies and watch a Christmas movie.

Post a Comment