Thursday, August 20, 2015

Tens Frame Flashcards

I'll say it. Back to School is rough. I'm definitely earning my paycheck this year. I have some sweeties though, too. :)

We still use Math in Focus (mostly) to teach math. I've created math journals for the first few units and I still create things from time to time for it. The math program stays the same for a few years but the kids certainly do not! So sometimes we do in fact have to reinvent the wheel. (Or go to Pinterest)

Well, I went to Pinterest looking for number word flashcards. I found some. They were alright. I also wanted a visual to go with them...I found some subitizing flashcards which are neat but I wanted good 'ol tens frames because we often have a difficult time with those in the beginning. Well I thought number words and tens frames together on one card were a perfect way to practice. However....Pinterest let me down folks. Now, I'm not saying they're not out there but I am saying I didn't find what I was looking for. So, I did what any crafty teacher with a few extra minutes (yeah right) and some math clipart would do. I made them! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

I made numbers 0-20 with words. I made them with filled tens frames and with blank tens frames.

We cut them out (which took pretty much all of math time, btw) and put them in our baggies. Then when we had a chance we took them out and practiced number order, then we mixed them up and practiced reading number words (I did encourage the kiddos to count the circles when they got stuck) and then we did a lesson on comparing numbers with them. I used them for greater than/less than war.

I had them shuffle their cards and put them face down. Then flip one over and build a tower with linking cubes to match. The greater tower won. (Or conversely the lesser tower or tower with fewer cubes) It took them a while to get into the swing of it but they caught on and enjoyed themselves. I let them keep score. We played until the timer went off. (I used the handy dandy Dojo timer!)

If you'd like to check them out on TpT click here


I added this to the packet in case you don't have ideas for the blank tens frames:

2 Replies:

augmenterapp said...

Hi Miss Cosby,

I happened to chance upon your blog and found it very interesting!

We have recently launched a science app that uses augmented reality to enhance classroom teaching. The app has 3D models for kindergarten to grade 12. I thought you might want to check it out and may be review it on your blog, if possible.

It is a paid app(with a few models free) but in case you are interested in trying it out I will be happy to provide you with a free copy.

The link to the app is: 

iPhone/iPad
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/augmenter-augmented-reality/id997354409?ls=1&mt=8

android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.augmented.android

You can also search for the app on the app store as 'Augmenter'.

Do let me know if you would be interested. I am really Looking forward to your response.

happy teaching!

Antara
antara@augmenterapp.com
http://augmenterapp.com/

smithendy@gmail.com said...

I have a great experience but not that I would liek to have. Thanks.

Post a Comment